Lilypie Pregnancy Event tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Saturday, March 16, 2013

The protocol that worked...

A number of you have asked me about what happened prior to my BFP. I've offered to give a play-by-play and decided that it was easier to do it here since I'm sure it will come up again.

First things first. Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor. I am not offering medical advice. My results may or may not work for you. I am only offering up the protocol that worked for me. Please view it accordingly.

Appointment 1: Preliminary FSH reading (Dec. 17, 2012)

Blood test result today:
Estradiol (E2): 41
Follicle stimulating hormone (FSH): 35

As per MD, your FSH is elevated. MD recommends birth control pill to lower FSH in order for the follicles to grow.
Medication instructions:
Start/Continue with prenatal vitamins – one tablet everyday
Start birth control pill today, 12/17/12 – 2(two) tablets taken together from 12/17 to 12/23.
Next monitoring on 12/24/12 for blood only at 8am Columbus Circle.
Please email me back if you need me to call in script for birth control pills. Email me name of the pharmacy and telephone number.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Note: between Dec. 24th and Jan 11th, I did not return, due to a family emergency. I was taking 1 tablet every other day during that time.

Appointment 2: Monitoring and Bloodwork (Jan 11, 2013)

Estrogen <Low
FSH 35

Instructions:
Please take birth control pills to help suppress the FSH level for a
dominant follicle to grow.

Increase birth control pills to 1 tablet every day from today to 1/21/13

Your next appointment is scheduled for 1/22/13 for blood work only.

Have a good day!

Note: I did not return on 1/22 because I had the flu. I continued to take the tablets and returned on 1/27.

Appointment 3: Monitoring and Bloodwork (Jan 27, 2013)- FSH is lower now, time to wean off of OCP

below are your blood results.

E2  31
FSH  4
LH  3
P4  0.2

Please reduce birth control pills 1 tablet every other day ( skip today,
take 1 tomorrow, every other day until 2/3) and return to the office on 2/4
only for blood work . If you have any questions, please feel free to
contact us.

 Appointment 4: Monitoring and Bloodwork (Feb 4, 2013) - FSH is elevated again on 1 tablet every other day
Your lab results from today are as follows:

Estrogen 42
FSH 25
LH 10
Progesterone <low

Please continue with the birth control pill 1 tab every other day until
2/7/13 and return to the clinic on 2/8/13 for blood work only.

Appointment 5: Monitoring and Bloodwork (Feb 8, 2013) - Snowstorm hits NYC, nurses say to stay on one every other day and come on the 11th

Please continue the pill every other day and return on Monday for blood
work, 2/11/13.

Appointment 6: Monitoring and Bloodwork (Feb 11, 2013) - FSH is still a bit elevated, but E2 levels indicate a follie may be growing

 I am writing with the results of your blood work today:

E2      62

FSH    21

LH      11

P4     0.1

The doctor has reviewed your chart and would like you to return for blood
work and sonogram on Thursday, February 14, 2013, any time between 7:00 am
and 1:30 pm. No medications at this time.

Appointment 7: Bloodwork and Sonogram ( (Feb 14, 2013) - Sonogram indicates there are two follies growing on the left ovary - 7mm and 4mm; no meds

FSH    21

Your FSH level is stable. You don't have to take any medications, simply
return to the office on Tuesday 2/19 for blood work and sonogram. If you
have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Appointment 8: Sonogram (Feb 19, 2013) - Sonogram now shows one follie at 15.5mm

Appointment 9: Bloodwork and Sonogram (Feb 20, 2013) - Sonogram now shows one follie at 18mm 

Blood test result:

Estradiol (E2):277

Luteinizing hormone (LH):41

Progesterone (P4): 0.6

As per MD, your Egg Retrieval is confirmed for 2/22/13, Friday, at 8am/

Please return to office with your husband at 7:30am.
Anika, continue with Ibuprofen/Advil 600mg every 12 hours until tomorrow's
procedure.


And there you have it, folks! My doctor followed a natural IVF cycle protocol, using OCP to suppress my FSH levels and encourage a follicle to grow. Until egg retrieval, OCP were the only meds I took. 36 hours before my retrieval, I took a nasal spray. That was it. When I first embarked on my IVF journey, I thought I would have to give myself shots, but I didn't. This was minimally invasive!



5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this. I have shared with my RE. Cross your fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I m happy for you that you r a success!!! I wish I be one too.
    I have pof trying two years no luck. Had the de consult and prescreening. But something in me says no keep trying w your OE. I am considering new hope now after your story. We're ou haing periods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The donor egg conversation was one of the most gutting conversations I've ever had in my life. If you are determined to try with your own eggs, I say keep at it! There is definitely hope. I was not having periods. In fact, the last time I'd had a cycle was in July 2012. When I went to my first OB appointment at 9 weeks, the first question was "when was your last period?" When I told them it was in July, they said I should be due soon... haha.... So, I got pregnant without having a period for the preceding 7 months! Best of luck to you!

      Delete
  3. What type of birth control were you on? I ask because if you were taking estrogen BC, I would think your E2 levels would increase... since they were not, just curious what you were taking.

    ReplyDelete